Good morning all,


A nice quick question - please can anyone confirm that we legally need to procure an EPC on a property about to be sold at auction under Enforced Sales Procedure.  Just for info, the property is in a serious state of disrepair.


many thanks

Eileen Johnson

Calderdale MBC 


Enforced Sale

We took our auctioneer's advice who stated they needed one to sell. They arranged it for us. We just had to pay the costs upfront and then naturally recovered them through the sale proceeds.

Sue Li

Compulsory Purchase and Enforcement Officer

Derby City Council

As mentioned by everyone, Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented.

So although you are using your statutory power of sale, it is still classed as selling and therefore and EPC is required.

If the property is too dangerous to do one you maybe able to get away with not doing one.

But they are cheap enough £40-£60 and would be recoverable as an on cost to the enforced sales process.


Andrew Lavender