When enforcing the sale of a property under the Law of Property Act 1925 for costs incurred when carrying out work in default under various legislation on empty properties, is anyone aware of where a Local Authority comes in the order of priority for recovery of costs registered as charges to the title.
Does a Local Authority charge take priority, or are other charges (e.g. mortgage lenders) given higher priority?
Some of the legislation we regularly use and incur costs include:
- Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, Section 4
- Building Act 1984, Sections 59 and 79
- Environmental Protection Act 1990, Section 80
- Town and Country Planning Act 1990, Section 215
- Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions Act) 1982, Section 29