Action on Empty Homes is looking to recruit three new board members from Black and Asian communities
Get involved in Action on Empty Home’s campaign to ensure England’s 226,000 empty homes are used for people in housing need. Become a Board Member!
Never been a charity trustee before? We will show you the ropes. We will offer ongoing support, training and mentoring and actively work to develop a culture that nurtures and welcomes diversity.
There is clear research evidence that, in general, Black and Asian communities experience worse housing problems than the British White population irrespective of income and their experience is needed in housing campaigns.
The benefits of embracing diversity are well documented. Diversity helps draw on a wider talent pool bringing different experiences and different ways of thinking through and finding solutions to organisational issues. A more diverse trustee board will help Action on Empty Homes reflect more clearly and represent more effectively all communities and wider society
We are a small ambitious organisation aiming to make a positive impact on the problem of empty homes across the country.
What will you be doing?
We are looking for people to join our Board who can help us with:
* Communications - we have a developing social media presence - if you are savvy with websites and social media and can help us grow our audience then get in touch.
* Research - we are building links with academics and are developing our research network in the UK and across the world.
* Architecture - from retrofitting to community leadership - we want to build a team of architects to help communities deal with clusters of empty homes.
* Advocacy and Campaigns – we are developing new projects and value campaign experience
* Fundraising for small organisations - we need a trustee who understands how to help a small organisation develop multiple income streams.
You might have some or all of:
- Experience of one or more of the roles outlined above.
- Lived experience of the many housing problems that Black and Asian people face.
- Ability to work as part of a team and willingness to take collective responsibility for the governance of our charity.
- Ability to work at a strategic and visionary level whilst understanding the detail and complexities of delivery for a small organisation
- Ability to analyse risks and opportunities and take a balanced approach to both.
- We also ask for attendance at quarterly Board Meetings and some policy and strategy days - travel expenses covered.
What's in it for you?
- As a Board Member, you will have an important and crucial role in advancing the work of Action on Empty Homes
- Housing is a key public policy issue - you will be at the centre of a national debate
- You will help a small ambitious project grow in influence and impact at a crucial time
Get in touch! If you have the desire, the passion and the skills to make a difference, please come on board and take action on empty homes. We would like to hear from you!