I am looking into a proposal that my LA implements a Council Tax Empty Homes Premium in terms of LTE's of 2 years plus. I would like to do a benchmarking exercise to assess what the impact of implementing a premium may be for the Council.
I would really appreciate it if you could provide some feedback on the items below from your respective Councils, if you have implemented a premium to some degree.
- Number of Long Term (6 month+)Empty Properties brought back into use that can be directly attributable to the CT Premium (Including change of CT status from LTE to something else)in the first 12 months.
- Impact of the premium on the Council Tax team in terms of increased/decreased workload
- Any occurrences of CT fraud identified (e.g. Owners claiming property lived in but still actually empty) in an attempt to avoid the premium
- What percentage of premium do you charge and how was this decided?
- Do you allow any flexibility to how you apply the premium? e.g. If owners can show they are actively carrying out works to bring the property back into use.
Many Thanks in advance for your help
Joint Empty Property Officer
North East Derbyshire and Bolsover District Councils