Empty Homes Officer - London Borough of Lewisham
Job type: Full-time, 35 hours
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £40,603 - £42,609 per annum (PO3)
Closing date: Sunday 23 January 2022, 11:59pm
Are you driven, enthusiastic and passionate about housing? Do you have the skills, motivation and drive to assist with tackling empty homes and the housing crisis?
London is in the grip of a Housing Crisis, and Lewisham is no exception. In order to tackle this head on, the housing division needs to be responsive and agile in our approach to tackling Empty Homes within the borough. We need a driven and passionate individual to encourage, advice and assist Empty Home Owners in bringing their property back into use.
We have an exciting opportunity for an outstanding, motivated person to join Lewisham Council’s high performing Housing Assistance Team. Working alongside key internal and external partners, you will be instrumental in developing a strategic policy and approach for this high profile agenda.
You will collaborate with relevant teams in contributing to improving housing standards across Lewisham borough’s Private Rented Sector taking the necessary enforcement action, where required, to bring empty properties back into use.
You will be passionate about delivering excellent customer service and will be a significant contributor in helping to effectively deliver on the significant reduction of empty homes within the borough.
If, like us, you’re motivated by the impact that your work can do and the difference you’ll make, we’d love to hear from you.
You will be based in Lewisham’s head office in Catford, Lewisham - part remote based
What we’re looking for:
You will need to have a good knowledge of building construction, detailed knowledge of the relevant legislation including Housing Act 2004 & Housing and Planning Act 2016, enforcement experience and be able to manage your own caseload. You will need to be enthusiastic, organised and a team player who is ready for this challenging role.
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
• Previous experience of working in a housing/empty property/ environmental health/ maintenance environment
• A building maintenance related qualification is desirable but not essential.
• Excellent numeracy skills;
• Confidence, enthusiasm and a flexible approach;
• Excellent administration skills, accuracy and attention to detail and the proven ability to learn and utilise new software;
• Good customer care skills and the ability to discuss sensitive issues with our customers calmly;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
In return, we’ll offer excellent development opportunities, plus a range of benefits that includes a career average pension scheme, flexible working and the opportunity to make a real difference to our local community.
£40,603 - £42,609 per annum (PO3)
N.B: All appointments will be offered at the minimum spinal column point (SCP) for the grade of the role. The only exception to this will be when matching current salary (up to the maximum of the scale), which is subject to evidential proof.
For an informal discussion, please contact Dionne Harris, 07795 616 847
Lewisham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
- We value diversity and welcome applications from all backgrounds.
- The post is subject to a DBS.
- For a full job description and person specification, and for further information about the recruitment process, please click on the links below.
Sunday 23 January 2022, 11:59pm
The Council reserves the right to close adverts early if there is a large response.