Empty Shops Network - Resources
Inspired by Open Source Software and the Agile Arts Manifesto, the Empty Shops Network aims to spread the skills, knowledge and resources needed to turn an empty shop into a pop-up shop as far and wide as possible. These include free Empty Shops Toolkit, the earlier and lighter Empty Shops Workbook, and the space finding website Spare Place.
- NEW! 21st Century Agora - collaborative response to Mary Portas High Street Review
- NEW! The UnFactory - empty shops for manufacture
- Example of a Licence To Occupy*
- Mapping empty shops and other useful space across the UK here>>>
- Ministry of Found - interviews with pop-up shop experts>>>
- Download the Empty Shops Toolkit here>>>
- Download the Empty Shops Workbook here>>>
*Although this example is written in Plain English and is easy to understand, you may want to take legal advice before signing any such document!
Talks, conferences and seminars
The Empty Shops Network's founder and curator of the Pop-Up Gallery and Workshop projects Dan Thompson has spoken at many meetings, conferences and seminars to share ideas further. These include the Leeds Platespinners (2011), Harrow Museum (2011), University of the Arts Alumni at the ICA, London (2010); at RIBA’s Guerilla Tactics (2009); at Chain Reaction at Canary Wharf (2009); Gloo in Portsmouth (2010); at AIR Time events in London, Brighton and Belfast (2009-11); at the E17 Art Trail (2009); at Central St Martins Graduate Week (2009) and at the launch of Spacemakers and their Brixton Village project (2009). In June 2010, he flew to Belfast to speak alongside Northern Ireland Assembly minister Sammy Wilson MP at the launch of the city centre’s first empty shops project, organised by architecture centre PLACE and Arts & Business. Contact the network to enquire about booking Dan as a speaker.