The Empty Homes Network is to launch an in-depth study of officer-held empty homes data, in order to better understand current statistics, identify areas of increase and decrease in empty homes numbers, and to provide a national context to support those who are experiencing challenges locally.
Working directly in partnership with Local Authorities and their Empty Homes Officers, the research aims to gather information and statistics from databases held ‘in-house’ by officers and teams nationwide in order to provide a direct comparison with the statistics, soon to be submitted by Councils through their CTB forms.
With the study aiming to provide local and national context to the reported annual figures, it also aims to:
- break down locally held information and statistics into categories and descriptions of their ownership types, and reasons for becoming and/or remaining empty such as pre/post probate
- compare and contrast those categories and their statistics, and determine whether trends can be found to support a national, regional, rural or urban hypothesis as to why empty homes figures have risen across the country in recent years
- consider the numbers of empty homes brought back into use with Local Authority involvement and intervention
- present informed conclusions based on statistical analysis, and in supporting the role of empty homes officers across the country, provide corporate backing for the continuation or additional provision of resources for empty homes work
- support the roles and development of our members across the Empty Homes Network
Through a short survey, empty homes officers will be invited to submit their data via email within the next three weeks, and prior to the deadline of the 22nd October in order to provide as accurate a comparison as possible to the data submitted through the CTB Forms. All information requested will be statistical, and not require the sharing of any personal data or information relating to properties or individuals.
The study aims to conclude its data collection by the end of October, with the findings to be shared with Empty Homes Officers and Local Authorities by the end of the year.
The survey document and information on how to complete and submit, will be posted on our website over the coming week, and to register your interest in taking part in advance, please email email@example.com.